Dr. Erik Stark is a Sports Medicine Specialist in San Diego. Sport Medicine Specialists are uniquely positioned to help patients suffering from knee, shoulder and ankle injuries. Knee, shoulder and ankle injuries are most often a result of some type of physical activity. When exercising, running or playing sports we’re engaging our knees, shoulders and ankles and as a result they’re more susceptible to injury.
What is a Sports Medicine Specialist?
A sports medicine specialist is an orthopedic surgeon with significant specialized training in both the treatment and prevention of sports related injuries. As a Sports Medicine Specialist Dr. Stark helps patients maximize function and minimize disability and time away from sports, work, or school.
In an effort to provide his patients with the best care available, Dr. Stark has continued his training and is:
- Board-certified in orthopedic surgery by The American Board of orthopedic Surgery
- A fellowship-trained orthopedic sports medicine specialist by Kaiser Permanente
- A recognized faculty expert in the field of shoulder care with the San Diego Shoulder Institute
Examples of sports medicine related problems include:
- Acute injuries (such as ankle sprains, muscle strains, knee and shoulder injuries, and fractures)
- Overuse injuries (such as rotator cuff and other forms of tendonitis, stress fractures)
- Medical and injection therapies for osteoarthritis
- Concussion (mild traumatic brain injury) and other head injuries
- Athletes with chronic or acute illness (such as infectious mononucleosis, asthma or diabetes)
- Nutrition, supplements, ergogenic aids, and performance issues
- Exercise prescription for patients who want to increase their fitness
- Injury prevention
- Recommendations on safe strength training and conditioning exercises
- Healthy lifestyle promotion
You don’t have to be a professional athlete to benefit from the specialized training of a Sports Medicine Specialist like Dr. Stark. Learn more about Dr. Stark’s areas of expertise by visiting our treatments page.